★★★★★
I'm not certain if late night studying and cramming has made me disorientated, but watching this movie in break time was the worst decision ever. How did I forget that Studio Ghibli movies wrecked people emotionally?
The Tale of Princess Kaguya is based on an old Japanese folktale called 'The Tale of The Bamboo Cutter'. In both stories, a bamboo cutter finds a beautiful princess blossoming from a bamboo shoot and decides to raise her with his wife. The village children call her "Little Bamboo" since she grows fast, quite like a bamboo shoot. Believing her to be a divine blessing from heaven, he is convinced that he and his wife must raise her to be of nobility.
| When the bamboo cutter finds the princess. |
Simply put, this film is an evolution of traditional storytelling.
Its beauty and exquisiteness lies in the fable-like way the story has been told. I'm not sure what the actual art medium is, but watching the movie is like watching a watercolour painting come to life. As the screen seamlessly flickers between shots, a narrator recounts to you the story of a young girl facing pressures and maturing into womanhood when all she wants to do is be free. It follows her as a newborn, experiencing human feelings, then into adolescence as she outsmarts her suitors, then into her final days on Earth.
There is no real moral to the story. Truthfully, it is very akin to the the way folklore is told in real life. I suppose that's the charm.
You fall in love with what you can take away from The Tale of Princess Kaguya, not what it can give to you.
I took away dreams and happiness. If something makes you happy, keep doing it. Never trade your happiness for the world.
I read another film review, and it had quite a harsh approach, suggesting that the message had very historical ties to Japanese culture. They said it was that you cannot change who you are and you must accept your responsibilities within your social constructs. Basically, "quit dreaming, buddy". Ouch.
Nevertheless, The Tale of Princess Kaguya offers its viewer a unique experience. It is literally watching art unfold on the screen with a killer music score. Do I recommend you to watch it?
Heck yes.
Over and out
xx Cece

No comments
Post a Comment